Satellite
  • Day 153

    Durban Day 2

    February 15, 2020 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We wake up with a fairly bad hangover, and a nervousness from last night's events. We're not too keen to explore Durban, especially since one of our friends had told us prior to the trip "you only want to go to Durban if you want to get shot". But, we're only here for a day, so we decide to head to the nearby beach.

    The surf here is legendary, and we watch a surf competition from a beachfront cafe. We try the Bunny Chow, which is a loaf of white bread, hollowed out and stuffed with curry. It's a delight, and perfect for our hangovers.

    Afterwards, we head out on the pier, and watch the surfers. The waves are HUGE, and surfing there looks to be the most frightening thing we could imagine. We leave it to the pros.

    We're approached by a beggar, who says that he just wants some food. We're roped into it, and we let him lead us to somewhere we can buy food. He chooses an expensive pizza place, but fortunately it's closed. We head instead to a chicken place, where he asks for the most expensive thing on the menu, and another for his brother...

    We head back to the hostel, a little disappointed by Durban, but keen to head onwards, out of the city.
    Read more