Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    The Last Austrian Meal

    September 13, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Today we would be crossing the border to Italy, so we wanted to use the opportunity and have another taste of Austrian food. Giacomo at some point stopped because he was so hungry (we had been on the lookout for good Austrian restaurants, but had not come upon any and it was well after noon), after some "first aid" with a cereal bar I found a promising option on Google Maps to have lunch. The only problem: it was almost half an hour away!
    Google Maps suggested a route which would take us off our original path and instead lead us on sidestreets through the countryside - but there were other restaurants also laying on this route, so if we were starving, we could also stop earlier - at least so I thought, because all the other options were closed or not very inviting. For some reason Google Maps wanted to take the scenic route so badly, it kept leading us on the most rural roads possible which slowed us down tremendously - although there was a bicycle track on the main road, so it would not have been dangerous at all to take the direct route.
    After a little discussion we decided to ignore Google maps and to return to the main road in order to not lose more time. Even though the restaurant I had chosen was also on the main road, Google Maps kept leading me to the country side, but I brushed it aside and we did reach the restaurant - and it truly made up the sweat and the patience, as it was serving not only high quality food, but also offered local dishes. Giacomo treated himself to a Gulaschsoup and a mixed salat with the traditional "Backhendl" (with pumpkin seed coating as a twist) while I indulged in a Zwiebelrostbraten (Roast Beef with fried onions). After the delicious (and very saturating!) meal we were ready to leave Austria behind us and enter Italy.
    Read more