Satellite
  • Day 9

    Food & Drinks Part I

    October 16, 2018 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Like every country in the world, Peru offers a great deal of typical dishes and ‚bebidas‘, aka drinks.

    So far, I‘m sure I’ve only tried a small percentage of all typical food but i will try to keep you guys updated on my olfactory experiences! And Benjamin‘s as weil, since he has to try everything that contains meat. Haha.

    1.) Pisco Sour - this alcoholic drink is made of liquor of grapes, lime juice, sugar and raw egg-white! The egg white becomes the white foam on top of the drink. I absolutely love this cocktail and I already drank it several times (e.g. on the rooftop overlooking Arequipa and another time in a bar while listening to a Peruvian Rock-Cover-Band called „Vigilin“)

    2.) Queso Helado - Cheese Ice? Sounds nasty, don‘t you think? I did so too and got prooved wrong! It‘s absolutely tasty and you can buy it for only 2.50 PEN (~ 65 cents) on every corner in Arequipa.

    3.) Aji de Gallina - Beni told me very simply: „It tasted nice!“ and he is definitely ordering it again.

    4.) Chicha Morada - a typical purple juice, made out of specific purple sort of corn boiled in water. I also really liked this classic of the Peruvian kitchen and I am usually no big fan of juices in general.

    5.) Empanda - what can I say? Empanada con queso, I have an addiction and I ate one (sometimes 2) every day while we stayed on Arequipa. Luckily, right before the door of our hostel was a cute little shop where you can get on for only 2.50 PEN from a lovely peruvian girl!

    6.) For fun: Chocolate Water Ice in a small plastic bag, sold by a woman on the bus to Cabanaconde - did not taste like chocolate, but certainly not bad either and was a nice way of cooling on a hot day!

    The order of the pictures got messy, but I think you can sort it out by the explanations. ;j
    Read more