Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Klaipėda

    August 10, 2022 in Lithuania ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    Klaipėda is a city in Lithuania on the Baltic Sea coast. The capital of the county of the same name, it is the third largest city and the only major seaport in Lithuania.

    The city has a complex recorded history, partially due to the combined regional importance of the usually ice-free Port of Klaipėda at the mouth of the river Akmena-Danë.

    Klaipėda's Old Town is notable among other towns in Lithuania for its abundance of German and Scandinavian architecture. Klaipėda's Old Town is unique with its timber-framed architectural style and the planned street structure, which is uncharacteristic of any other old town in Lithuania. Its streets are geometrically configured very correctly, and the angle of intersection is always straight.

    One of the most popular places in Klaipėda's old town is The Theatre Square. An important focus of Theatre Square is the Taravos Anikė sculpture depicting a youthful barefoot girl. The sculpture was erected in the memory of the poet Simonas Dachas and perpetuates one of the poet's described heroes.

    Built in Finland in 1948, the Meridianas sailed the seas for twenty years as a training sailing ship and served to educate future sailors and captains. Her voyages have taken her to the shores of West Africa, the Azores, and the many ports of Western Europe. In 1968, the ship was decommissioned, yet its story did not end at that point but took a new turn, which led to the Meridianas becoming an integral part of the Klaipėda cityscape and a symbol of the port city. In 1971, the sailing ship was moored at the quay of the River Dangė and the legendary restaurant was opened there. Reconstructed in 2012-2014, Meridianas continues a 50-year tradition and invites you on a never-ending cruise of tastes and flavors.
    Read more