Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    A Free Morning in Vilnius

    August 14, 2022 in Lithuania ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Scott and I had a free morning in Vilnius before our driver, Igor would take us to Kaunas to begin our "family history" part of the trip.

    The plan originally was to meet our distant Slykas-related cousin Eglė. Unfortunately, she was not available to meet with us, so Scott and I revisited a few sites in Vilnius.

    First, we had breakfast at the hotel which was fantastic!! As you can see from the photos, the breakfast bar went down the middle of a very large room, Both sides of the bar were filled with food - 3 kinds of meat, 3 kinds of fish, potatoes, pancakes, blinis stuffed with bananas, 6 different kinds of fruit, hot and cold cereals, numerous fresh loaves of bread and rolls, 4 kinds of fruit preserves, sour cream, 3 kinds of juices, and a coffee bar which served coffee, tea, hot chocolate, espresso, and cappuccino.

    Next, we went to Sunday Mass at the cathedral.

    Scott and I then wandered the streets of Vilnius. We looked down a random arch into a courtyard that had a jewelry shop. As we walked we also saw a wedding party. In fact, all during our trip, we saw a number of brides and grooms on their special days.

    We then enjoyed some Kugelis for lunch. Our driver picked us up in the early afternoon and drove us to Kaunas.
    Read more