Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Northwestern CO

    August 6, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    It’s been a journey today in northwestern Colorado. We had to get creative in order to reach our destination for the day, Dinosaur National Monument, as I-70 was closed around Glenwood Springs due to a massive mudslide. So up route 131 into ranching territory we drove.

    Running low on gas, we stopped in Toponas, CO at what appeared to be a gas station, but was more of a junk shop. The owner informed us that there was gas 9 miles ahead in Yampa and gave us a shortcut to avoid Steamboat Springs and save over an hour. The directions were perfect and very local.

    “Go through Oak Creek, turn left at the railroad tracks (which are everywhere here mind you) and the red building with a flag (the post office) and then head onto the asphalt road called Twenty Mile Highway. You’ll see a nice green sign, but don’t miss it or you’ll have a devil of a time turning around and don’t worry, the road can handle the trailer. It’s just slow and twisty is all, but I promise it’s faster.”

    Well, we made it! Slow, twisty and very rural. Gorgeous country here and filled with mountains and dry earth.

    Also, Grampy Carpenter informed us we interviewed 1/26 of the population of the town of Toponas.

    *Pictures of the cat show the inside of the “store”.
    Read more