Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 238

    Quintana Roo

    May 3, 2023 in Mexico

    The second half on the Yucatan Peninsula was less nice than expected. Nature is beautiful as always but it's way too touristy!! Maybe if you're on a 2 weeks holiday trip and can afford the resorts all the pricey activities it's fun. But as an overlander with limited budget it was hard to find good places. Mostly you find overpriced "campings" that are more like parking lots in front of a hotel or not well mantained campings. One night we spent in the center of Playa del Carmen on a free parking lot. It was ok but very hot in the van and we didn't want to open the doors during the night.
    An other problem was the beach access with dogs. Tourist beach = no dogs. We only went for short dips in the sea or lake and back to the car where Leki was waiting.
    Of course all the activities or attractions were overpriced. But it was not even the price that made us escape these sites but the way how you got treated. Unfriendly, rude, not at all welcoming. They just wanted to see your money. Of course there are always exceptions and as you can see on the pictures we found some really nice places!!
    Read more