Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 305

    Chimborazo

    July 9, 2023 in Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Chimborazo was our 2nd Volcano in Ecuador. This time not the🌋 was the main reason for the stop but the climbing at it's base. Our camping spot was just above the beautiful chorrera canyon where the climbing is hidden. Our first climbing day was a bit rough: rain, wind, cold and exhausting to climb at 3800m. Luckily the next days were much better with a lot of sun and our bodies got used to the altitude and it was much more pleasant to climb.
    On our rest day we drove up to the first refuge at 4800m of Chimborazo. A well mantained dirt road made Vanbora easily climb up these 1000m.
    Of course we also did the short hike to the 2nd refuge at 5050m and the small laguna at 5100m. For us it was an easy hike and we almost didn't feel the altitude until we got back to our campground. I got a bad headache that lasted the whole day and Vini had problems while sleeping.

    Before we drove up to the climbing place we spent one night at a farm in San Juan and were hosted by Juan a very sweet and welcoming old man. He loves hosting all the travellers and has a room to hang out & cook which is full of pictures of all his visitors. The big book once used for notes about farming and his cows turned into a guest book (it still contains the 🐄 notes😂). He told us that his life changed a lot since he started hosting people, it is much more interesting and beautiful 🙂.
    This was our last in Ecuador before heading to our next country 🇵🇪
    Read more