Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 531

    Torres del Paine

    February 20 in Chile ⋅ 🌫 4 °C

    Torres del Paine - Beautiful National Park but overpriced.
    As Leki was not allowed to enter the NP (not even staying in the car) we had to leave him in a dog hotel in Puerto Natales.
    After dropping off Leki we drove 2h to the visitor center of TdP where you could park and camp for free. We were in good company amongst many tourists also sleeping in their vans.
    The next morning we had an early start at 7am to hike to the famous view point "base de las torres". The hike was easy and nothing special as you never had views until the view point. But when you arrive at the top, the views are stunning! There are climbing routes on the towers but logistics are complicated and you need a permit. Only a few days ago a strong climbing team could free climb the hardest route on the middle tower for the first time in history. They spent 18 days on the wall with big storms!! Impressiv to see this wall in this remote place and imagine them up there trapped in the snow storms.
    Our hike was a bit less impressiv but we got tired legs from 20km hiking.
    When we got back to the parking we couldn't immediately leave as there was a tourist bus parked in front of our van and the driver nowhere to be found 🙄 after his lunch break the driver appeared and we could continue our drive through the NP.
    More nice views and a short hike to a waterfall and the "cuernos" viewpoint.
    To end the beautiful day we found a great spot to cook, enjoy the sunset & finally sleep.
    Read more