Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Phone # & City Centre Visit #2

    August 10, 2023 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    We were lazy this morning but eventually got around to go downtown to a Siminn store to get McKelvie's Icelandic phone number. During that trip, we finally received confirmation that her Icelandic residency has been approved, but now we need to go to the directorate offices to have her photo taken and finish some paperwork in order to receive her kennitala (Icelandic social security number). After that, we can finally purchase a phone/Internet plan and enroll her in classes. Government bureaucracy really sucks.

    We spent the rest of the day exploring the city centre and shopping, eating ice cream, watching people, and we finished up with cake at the Cafe Loki right across the street from the Hallgrimskirksja.

    The couple beside us was eating fermented shark for the first time. They went for their whiskey (which is traditionally paired with it ) very quickly because it tastes awful. McKelvie tried it 4 years ago and says it's the worst thing she's ever eaten in her life. She was too young for whiskey then, so she was given black licorice instead. She says it didn't help.
    Read more