Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Back home to Perth

    February 22, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Decided to leave Lake Grace early, mainly so that we could travel through the cool of the day, since the forecast was for another hot day. But also to get the hell out of Lake Grace!
    First spot reached was Kulin, which actually looked like quite a nice town. Leading in to Kulin, they have a stretch of highway called the Tin Horse Highway. Never heard of it before, but quite interesting. Over a stretch of about 50kms, the locals have put together structures made out of old drums and tin cans, etc. Some of the items are quite quirky and inventive, and it is a welcome relief to drive along that part of the highway.
    We came across one area where there were quite a few of these sculptures, so we stopped off the road to take photos - Elvira one way and me the other. After a while I got back to the car, and Elvira had gone quite a way down the highway, so I started up to go pick her up. Only problem was, no flat area off the side of the road to park off, without toppling the rig into the bush. So, I carried on down the highway, looking for a flattish spot, with Elvira chasing after me. Must have looked a bit strange to any passing motorists - hubby in car driving off, having had enough of wife, who is chasing after trying to catch up!
    Our plan was to overnight in Brookton. But when we checked reviews of the park there, they were not good. Brookton looked like a nice town, but after having lunch at the local pub, we decided to press on to Perth, about 120kms further on.
    Part of the return took us down the Welshpool East hill. Very steep descent, and our first run down with the caravan. Put the car in 'S' mode and cautiously made our way down. The car was in second gear most of the way down at 40kms/hr, and that helped avoid using the brakes so much.
    Good to get home on Friday afternoon. And then started the unpacking and cleaning up, etc.
    Spent a couple of hours taking about 150kgs of provisions and bits and pieces, out of the van into the house, and that did not even include anything from the car. Note to self - Elvira to be watched like a hawk when we pack for the next trip, and all items going on board are to have a necessity check strictly applied to them, before being allowed through the door of the van.

    Anyway, that is the end of our first proper trip with the van. It was an enjoyable trip for both of us. The Busso, Pembo, and South coast part of the trip was great. Lovely areas to stay. We feel comfortable with free camping, even though we only did one day of it. The van performed well, despite the electrical fault with the hot water system. The car performed well, apart from the worrying power fade out on the one occasion. The trip back through the wheatbelt is a trip never to be repeated - boring as bats**t and hot and uncomfortable. Good if you are a wheat farmer, but otherwise, too much of nothing.
    So, we now spend a few weeks back in Perth and start preparing and looking forward to our next trip. Where to - who knows at this stage.
    Cheers.
    Read more