Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Jarrahdene - day 1

    April 8, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    After 3 days/nights at Munday park, we decided to move on and do some more free camping.
    Managed to find a camping area near the Boranup forest area, just 40kms north of Augusta. Managed by the WA Parks department.
    What a great site this turned out to be. No power or water, but great sites and properly angled to assist reversing a caravan in. Right in the middle of the forest, and all sites very far apart. Hardly anybody there, but even so, you could hardly see or notice them.
    Very peaceful and quiet. The ideal place to chill out.
    It is the site of an old timber mill from the late 1800's, and there is a fairly informative walk you can do through the remnants of the mill area - not much left.
    And great, clean drop loos to use.
    This would have to be the best site we have been to ever, and we are not likely to find a better place for camping. $11 ea per night, but we paid $7 ea with pensioner discount. Absolute bargain. Highly recommended. And Telstra phone and data coverage in the middle of the forest - great stuff.
    After setting up, we took a drive through the Boranup forest area, and then on to Prevelly beach. Both are beautiful in their own rights.
    Back to camp for a relaxing sundowner outside the van, listening to nature.
    A great day.
    During the night, we had a visit from a few possums. One of them managed to get on the roof of the van - not sure how he did that. The other 2 were just curiously checking around the van.
    We closed the roof vents, in case possum roof climber decided to do a pee through them.
    And I then ventured out to try and chase him off the roof - a bit concerned that he could start nibbling his way through the wiring or trim up there. With bright flashlight shining on him, and putting on my famous hulk hogan growl and a few charges towards him, he seemed not the slightest bit interested. Just carried on with his business, looking for something to chew, etc. This carried on for about half an hour, until eventually Elvira threw some banana peel at him. Missed him by a country mile, but where they fell on the ground, it perked up his interest, and he decided the ground was a better place to be - thank goodness.
    We never did see possums again at that camp - I think they decided not to embarrass me by revisiting and forcing me to put on the hulk hogan charade again !!
    Read more