Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Jurien for a few days

    May 30, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We decided to move down to Jurien Bay for a few days and relax down there.
    From our research, it appeared that the Apex camp might be an acceptable and low cost place to stay, and it included power and water. So, that was our target, all of 50kms away!
    Easy trip down, even with Elvira driving from Milligan's to Green Head. Perhaps her passenger is becoming more relaxed and letting go a bit. Maybe.
    Got to the Apex camp. Nobody around to welcome us. Phoned a number on the office door and spoke to the camp manager who was away for a couple of days. Very casual and laid back system of managing the camp. We were told to put some money through the door and choose whatever site we wanted, which we did. And after speaking to a few others around the camp, that was their instruction as well. How on earth she accounts for everything, would be a miracle.
    Anyway, the Apex camp has seen much better days. Rough and ready. But everything worked, somehow, and it was cheap. Also, close to town. A good place to relax. And everybody in camp was friendly.
    We spent the next few days just relaxing and recharging everything. Went for walks around town and on the beach.
    Every day was very windy, mainly with easterlies, which I think is a bit unusual for this time of year.
    I wanted to do some ocean swimming, but unfortunately I was trying to fight off a bit of a cold the whole time, so decided not to swim whilst that was happening. Pity, because, with the easterlies, the water looked calm and great.
    But we did have a game of golf at the Jurien Bay Country Club Golf course. What a grand title for a goat track!
    The tees had a bit of grass on them, but that was it, as far as grass goes. The greens were sand. I think we were allowed improved lies on the fairway, but probably the limit of improvement would have to be 15 metres, since you need to move that far to find a tuft of grass! One of the rules required us to carry a bucket of sand, to help repair divots. Seriously? That is the last thing you want on those fairways. Instead, they should be encouraging people to make as many divots in the fairway as possible to help aerate the soil.
    We have not travelled with our golf buggies this time, and since the club did not have buggies for hire, we had to carry our bags. That certainly added a degree of difficulty to an already difficult situation. But we rose to the challenge and did it. Because we were carrying our bags, we decided not to take our bottles of water. Big mistake! By the end of the round, on a warm and windy day, we were gasping for water.
    Needless to say, our scores were not very good. Scores that will be scrubbed from memory banks very soon.
    One positive though - the sand greens were well compacted and a lot easier to putt on than first thought.
    Our walks on the beach have yielded some good sunsets. Jurien seems a nice spot to spend some time. The Apex camp is an acceptable place to stay, unless you are quite fussy. And if you are fussy, then you probably won't be caravanning around the place, anyway.
    Tomorrow, we head off to Cervantes to meet up with Fabs and Mel and kids, to spend the long weekend there.
    Cheers
    Read more