Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Norway: Ålesund

    August 19, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    So as a newly engaged couple, we left the hiking and the mountains behind us and headed to Ålesund, a town on the west coast of Norway. The name Ålesund we were told (by a Norwegian on our hike) means Eel Sound ('sound' as in water passage). I think this place is aptly named as what can be seen from my photos is how the water snakes its way around many islands in an eel-like fashion. The first night in Ålesund we could've spent phoning people to let the wide world know about our engagement, buuuuuut the Bokke were playing Wales and we had bought tickets to go and watch a local country band performing top American Country hits by Johnny Cash and the like. So engagement news was put on hold for a night. The Bokke thankfully smashed Wales and it was off to the Theatre Fabriken for the gig. The gig was good fun! Emz and I were definitely the youngest in attendance at this gig though by a looooong shot! It turns out the Norwegians like to dance though, so we got to sokkie and our heads must've looked like blonde and brunette boats, bobbing amongst the sea of greys and whites.
    The walk to the gig did give us a good view of the town and I think it was the best town we visited in Norway and would recommend the town to anyone visiting Norway. It is far smaller and also feels far less touristy than Bergen, yet still has really beautiful architecture and the beauty of all the little islands in the sounds.
    The next day we spent the morning engaging with the uninformed family and friends about our engagement. This was met with a lot of enthusiasm which was great from both family parties!😁 We then did another hike (yep, we can't seem to get enough of these bloody things!), but just to the view point over the city as can be seen from the photos. We also wanted to have a nice engagement supper in celebration, but forgot that it was a Sunday and in continental Europe, EVERYTHING seems to come to standstill on a Sunday! Or maybe we are the spoilt ones living in London where nothing is ever closed, who knows🤷🏻‍♂️ So the engagement supper was put on hold for now. Overall a great little town and one we both thoroughly enjoyed visiting!
    Read more