Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 10 - WW1 History & The Vršič Pass

    June 27, 2016 in Slovenia ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    The Soča valley played an important role in WW1 as a front where the Italians prevented the Austro-Hungarian army from making inroads across the Italian border through this region of Slovenia (which was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire at the time). Throughout this region are many monuments and remnants of the brutal, devastating campaigns fought in the mountains and valleys. We visited a war museum in the town of Kobarid and hiked a historical trail along the bluff of the Soča river. Along the trail we discovered trenches, buildings, outposts and munitions storage caves that the Italian army used to defend the Soča river valley. It was haunting to walk the same bulwarks and trenches where these battles took place. The trail wound along a stream that fed into the the Soča river. We followed it to the stunning waterfall, Slap Kozjak.

    We then began our trip to the eastern Julian alps by driving through the Vršič pass, along a winding mountain road which includes more than 50 hairpin switchbacks. It was harrowing, not only because of the sheer drop from the side of the road, but also the narrowness which had to be negotiated with oncoming traffic. But the views were a great reward. Also we ended up in Italy by accident. Ultimately we made it to our destination, the picturesque resort of Lake Bled.
    Read more