Satellite
Show on map
  • Mary Kathleen, Mt Isa

    March 23, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    Heading to Mt Isa for van repairs we stopped at Clem Walton Park free camp overnight across road from Mary Kathleen turn off. Road nasty to the park, so just pulled up at the dam. Great opportunity to take the kayak for a paddle. The dam was pristine with a huge array of bird life, turtles and a few freshwater crocodiles. With a clear dark night the stars were sparkling like diamonds and as with birds we played what star is that. Next time we are in the middle of nowhere I will get the good camera out and test my night photography.

    Mary Kathleen - two periods of mining now all that’s left is streets, concrete slabs a plaque in the town and 6klms down the road the mine pit. The lake at the bottom of the pit is the most vibrant blue. Amazing what contamination can do. Mine rehabilitation maybe not such a big thing in those days.

    Mt Isa, dinner at the Isa where the steak is always good.

    We have separated from mum and dad while they await caravan awning parts. Meet up again in a few days. We are heading to the Northern Territory to Alice Springs, Uluru etc then meet up again with MAD and will head up north.
    Read more