Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Sarajevo

    December 12, 2023 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    Sarajevo the most polluted city in Europe. And it is certainly living up to its name this morning. I am pleased my lungs don’t have to live with this. My nose is suffering with the constant smell of burning tyres.

    I am sure it is a beautiful city, have a tour later this morning. Lonely planet says one of the 10 cities worth visiting.

    Hotel is certainly quirky room decorated in industrial sheik. Snow board swings as you walk into the lobby. And the most amazingly painted piano ever.

    Wandered around the old town with a guide and longer without one. Old town architecture very Turkish influence until you cross the east west line then it’s Austria Hungarian. Evidence of civil war very apparent with damaged buildings, bullet holes and Sarajevo roses, grenade bursts.

    All the churches (Catholic, Orthodox, mosque) are within a few meters of each other.

    Tried Bosnian coffee and Turkish tea, coffee will keep us awake till next year but Lyn says the tea was just black tea.

    We had bought local pastries for lunch and sat in a local park. We were watching 2 men play chess with 20 advisors helping. Dropped crumbs in the park means your lunch is shared by many many pigeons.

    Off to Vinkovic in Croatian tonight then Budapest again.
    Read more