Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The Greeks have a word for it.

    May 2, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We had a very relaxed day, wandering northwards along the seashore to the tip of the island, from where Turkey is easily visible. In 1522, Suleyman the Magnificent shipped 100,000 soldiers across to besiege the Knights Hospitallers. All 300 of them. Guess who won...

    We saw some good examples of votsaloto, the Greek art of pebble mosaic.

    We also, by stopping at bars every few hundred metres, followed the ancient Greek rite of Megabeerikon...

    And we passed Mandraki harbour again. This is where some legends maintain the Colossus stood, with a foot on either side of the entrance. It didnt, mainly because it would have immediately sunk into the sand, but there's also a big clue in that it was well documented that for hundreds of years the ruins of Colossus laid on top of a nearby hill.

    Anyway... heard two tourist ladies ask Greek man if this was where statue stood. Yes, said he, one foot either side, that's where Colossus stood. At which point the dimmer tourist said Colossus?, like the Colossus of Rhodes, the Wonder of the World? We are still wondering where the f*** she thought she was.
    Read more