Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Hallstatt in the rain and sun.

    October 27, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We had wondered if we had missed The Season yesterday as many places were shut. But then we found out that it was Austrian National Day. When places shut. So today, they were open!

    Into the Hallstatt Museum to see 7000 years of salty history. Very well presented, several hours were spent enjoying the displays. Especially the mirrors (see pics) But also the artefacts. We are suckers for a good artefact.

    When in Florence a few years back we had an Ugly Baby Jesus competition in the Uffizi (won by Botticelli, with a creditable mention for Titian) If only we had seen the Hallstatt altarpiece in the museum, a shoo in for first place.

    Then lunch in the same place as yesterday as I refuse to pay €50+ for fish caught in the lake in the posher eateries. So we had spicy veggie goulash mit brot röll. For €9.

    Then a stroll round the town taking pics, including in the charnel house. Because there is so little land, they exhume bodies from graves every now and then, paint the skulls and put them on shelves. And stack femurs underneath. I assume the other bones are ground up for fertiliser, the geez was very reticent on this...
    Read more