Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Yesterday was FLAT...

    October 29, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We caught the postbus to Dachstein Station and took a cablecar to level 1 for a visit to the ice cave. What we weren't told was that the cave entrance was a further 15 minutes away up a hairpinning footpath that was steeeeep. And then in the cave there were 500 steps, mostly upward, and between these flights were steep slopes. Still, quite worthwhile. We saw an animatronic cave bear because they'd found a skull of one (cave bears weighed up to 1000kg and we're told they were herbivores. Seriously, would you hang around to find out, after all you might look like a juicy berry to a short sighted ton of bear...) And we saw plenty of ice at around -2° but we were still sweating from all the climbing.

    And then after walking down the ridiculously steep footpath again, we had cheesy pasta with roasted onions, then sachertore with cream, which made things a bit better.

    Up the next cablecar up to nearly 3000m to look at REAL mountains, with snow. On seeing it was a half hour walk, uphill obviously, to the viewing platform suspended over 1500m of nothingness, we both used the "yes of COURSE we'd enjoy being scared shitless, but alas we can't climb on a full stomach" excuse so sat and drank hot chocolate instead, looking at the views. Di did a bit of a walk, brave girl!

    Then all the way back down, bus to Hallstatt, and a Syrian takeaway chicken burger with curry flavoured chips. Can't beat local cuisine.

    Absolutely knackered, but having that pleasant glow that comes after extreme exertion!
    Read more