Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Ho Ch Minh day 1

    April 15 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 39 °C

    The sheer amount of motorbikes in the city is crazy, there's around 10 million people in the city, and 4-7 million motorbikes depending on who you ask! I decided to see what it'd be like to be one of the many motorbikes, and hopped on a bike taxi to the airport. Was slightly terrifying at times, but much less scary than to trying to cross a busy road here!
    I found a corridor above the arrivals terminal where I could survey luggage collection and spy on Kath. Once I found her, we got a taxi back to the hostel, then went out to explore. I had my first egg coffee, which is a Vietnamese speciality. It's espresso topped with an almost meringue topping, made of egg yolks and condensed milk whipped up. Is so delicious, but so sweet, feels like a dessert.
    We visited one of Ho Chi Minh's most popular attractions in the afternoon which is the War Remnants Museum. To be honest I barely knew anything about the cold war before coming here, and it was really interesting to learn about. Parts of the museum were quite hard to look at, photos in particular, but definitely important to see.
    Kath didn't sleep on her flight so started to fall asleep if she sat down for too long, so we kept moving and walked across town to a pagoda (temple). We stood overlooking the pagoda as the sky lit up at sunset, with the noise from super busy roads behind us, and tiny bats and swooping birds dive bombing above us to catch emerging insects.
    Had an early night, even though I had a full night sleep, walking about the city in 39°c heat is also exhausting.
    Read more