Satellite
  • Day 113

    Walvis Bay, Namibia

    April 9, 2015 in Namibia ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    Again, I’m not sure what I expected to see in Namibia, but now that we visited our second port, I am still stunned by how opposite my thoughts were compared to reality.
    Walvis Bay is a jumping off point for a town 25 miles away called Swakopmund which is a surprisingly lively city and has many holiday visitors. There are some homes that look remarkably like something you would find in Albuquerque, New Mexico and miles and miles of desert that stretches out in all directions. We had a pleasant morning with a driver that was informative and even suggested some additional sites along the way such as “Dune 7” (a popular, large dune that everyone loves to try to climb) and a large lagoon with hundreds of flamingos.
    One of the highlights of the day was a dinner that the ship put together for the evening.
    About 100 of us were driven for 1 1/2 hours into the desert in the late afternoon. When we got to our “middle of nowhere” destination, there was a beautiful dinner set up in a canyon complete with camels, a large singing group, linen tablecloths and hundreds of luminaries. Oh, and of course, a rainbow. By the way, it also rained lightly during dinner, which only happens about once a year. It was one of the prettiest and most unusual venues we had ever been to. As the evening wore on, there were fires lit with large comfortable pillows on the sand around them and many other torches and candles. Magic.
    The first photo is the dunes in Namibia.
    The second photo is some women in traditional dress.
    The third photo is a camel imitating Ali.
    Read more