Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 112

    Luderitz, Namibia

    April 8, 2015 in Namibia ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    There is a current in the ocean that comes up from Antartica, and when it meets the warm air off the west African coast, a thick fog bank forms. So it was as were sailing towards Luderitz, Namibia. The horn on the ship blew all night long - when we woke up we looked outside and decided we would have a foggy day in port. A little bit later, we looked outside and saw a sparkling jewel of a town looking very crisp in the brilliant sunshine.
    Luderitz, as you can tell by the name, was a German colony for quite a while and only achieved it’s independence from South Africa in 1990. It is a diamond-mining and fishing town that is surrounded by the Namib desert. When diamonds were first discovered here, they were simply laying on the ground ready to be picked up and sifted from the sand. The nearest town/city is about 70 miles away. Because of it’s German influence, there is some beautiful architecture that would convince you that you had stumbled into a little town in Germany - but with streets made of sand!
    This was a short visit, but the weather was cool and we saw some nice sites. The town does not get any tourists, but was welcoming and we left with smiles on our faces.
    The first photo is the view of the harbor from the town.
    The second photo is a row of houses in town.
    The third photo is inside a mansion in town.
    Read more