Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    On to Cairns

    November 1, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Our last day in Sydney we went to the Botanic Gardens right next to the Opera House. The gardens are huge and government house where the equivalent of our Lieutenant Governor, lives, is on the grounds. Unfortunately, we couldn't go inside that day. We looked at some flowers and trees, but found it terribly hot, with not a lot of shade. So we decided to take the ferry to Manly. It is a pretty beach town with shops along a promenade connecting the two sides of a point. The boat ride was cooler than on land and we enjoyed the trip. As we were finding the correct quay to leave from, a young couple from the states offered us their OPAL cards to use. The cards let you put money on them to ride the buses, trains, or ferries. They were leaving Sydney and had money left on them. It turned out there was enough for the ferry, and the train home to our apartment. Nice people!!
    We travelled to Cairns yesterday and after a little trouble in communication with our Airbnb host, got settled into a lovely apartment a couple of blocks from the water. The a manager of the building has been wonderful in helping contacting our host for us, helping us to decide on tours, etc. We went out to the Great Barrier Reef today. WOW!! It was two hours out to Michelmas Cay where we snorkelled and saw so many beautiful fish. We also had a semi-submersible tour which is sort of like a glass bottom boat, that takes you into deeper water coral beds. We saw brown sea turtles, giant clams and had a very good guide to all the kinds of coral. I wish I had accepted Kirsty's offer of her underwater camera.
    It was a wonderful day and just what you come to Cairns to see.
    Read more