Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    The Great Ocean Road

    November 8, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 8 °C

    Yesterday we made a long drive from Phillip Island to Warrnambool, on the Great Ocean Road. We passed through wonderful farmland, with huge herds of both dairy and beef cattle. One thing we noticed was that the cattle were grazing, not in barns, In fact you just don't see any barns of any size. I suppose with grazing available most of the year, it is practical to feed that way. Hay crops are coming off and round bales litter the fields. At one point, we saw a long line of dairy cows going into a small building. Apparently it was milking time and they were waiting their turn to get relieved of their milk.
    Today we started down the Ocean Road, heading towards the Twelve Apostles. This is the most famous of the tall limestone columns that are along this beautiful coast. We actually preferred some other places that we stopped, but that could be because there weren't the hoards of people. The road twists and turns, definitely not for the car sick crowd. The views are first rate and some pictures are included to prove it.
    A bonus was the sighting of some koalas in the wild. One was down close to the ground so perfect for a picture.
    Read more