Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,430

    Southern Italy 2022

    September 18, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We have arrived in Southern Italy, at Villaggio l’Olivara at Tropea . The travelling went well as we flew to Rome through the night, arriving on the morning of Sept 16th. We had booked a hotel within walking distance of the Centrini Railway station. So it was just a shuttle bus in from the airport and a short walk to the hotel. We were able to leave our luggage there and go out to look around for a few hours. Checking in that afternoon, we were well ready for a long nap. Not so good at going without sleep for a night anymore.
    There were several restaurants in the area and we chose an outdoor spot by the Basilica, where we had looked around earlier that day. When it was lit for the evening, it made a beautiful backdrop to our first meal in Italy.
    On Saturday we took a train from Rome to Lamezia Terme and picked up our rental car for the drive to Tropea. Tropea is mostly known for the beaches here, and the town was bustling as we tried to find our way through a maze of narrow, one way streets to our home for the next week. Thank goodness for getting a SIM card the day before, so we could use MAPs to find the route.
    The resort sits very high above the town and looking out on the ocean. There are steep (first gear) switch backs to get up to the top, but a wonderful view when you get here.
    Today we spent finding our way around the resort and a trip into town for supplies. Dinner this evening will be at the restaurant on site. The menu looks intriguing!
    Sunshine, warm breezes and a great patio for morning coffee and late afternoon wine/beer. A relaxing day as the start of what looks to be a week on paradise!
    Read more