Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Our Last Day

    May 6, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    As our flight didn't leave until 8pm, Jacky, our guide, had a few last things for us to do - starting with a trip to the top of the 3rd tallest building in China. It was the smoothest and fastest elevator we had ever been in and the views were amazing; back over the Bund where we had walked the day before.

    Next, it was a visit to the knock-off markets, the largest of its kind in the world. We were given a brief lesson on the art of the negotiation before we were let loose to browse Gucci, Rayban and Chanel, just to name a few.

    To the cries of "What you want, lady? I get for you", we set off to try our luck. We were taken down back alleys, and led through secret doors in the pursuit of Gucci shoes and Louis Vuitton bags - which we got for a "steal" due to some expert haggling on my behalf from a fellow Tripadealer. I tried it for myself with Calvin Klein undies and Rayban sunnies, but I don't think I did very well as they agreed on my price very quickly.

    Matt went looking for an Omega watch and was led to a small handbag shop and taken out the back, where a secret draw was open. He was asked, "How much you pay?" and when he named his price the drawer was quickly closed with the words "You dreaming". No watch for Matt.

    Last trip was a ride on the magnetic fast train. With a top speed of 431km/h, it is the fastest train in the world. Matt and Mat were very excited; Di and I, not so much!

    Then it was off to Shanghai International Airport for our 8pm flight home.
    Read more