Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 5 - Drive to Jasper

    June 19, 2019 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    After breakhast, the tour headed out of Lake Louise to take the Icefield Parkway to Jasper. We first stopped a scenic stop at Bow Lake where we could see the Crow Foot glacier. We then headed to Peyto lake, which was a beautiful, brilliant blue. However, the weather finally cuaght up with us and we got rain and snow for most of the rest of the drive. The parkway is at a fairly high elevation, so much of the scenery along the drive was shrouded in clouds. Oh well, we head back the same route in two days when we return to Banff, so hopefully we get to see everything then!

    We had a nice lunch in Sunwapta. And then we stopped at Athabasca falls just outside of Jasper. This is one of the most powerful waterfalls in the Canadian Rockies. We'll be rafting on the same river tomorrow - but not this portion!

    We checked into the Jasper Park Lodge, another Fairmost property that is a cabin based resort. The lodge is exactly what you would expect from a big mountain resort. Very cozy with a big fireplace in the middle of the resort lobby. We had a few cocktails with Carolyn and Dennis, and another couple we met from Tallahasse, FL (Heidi and Elliot). Then we had a very nice dinner in the Moose Nook's Chophouse. After dinner, Lisa and I hit the hotel gym to try to work off some of that dinner!
    Read more