Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Behind the Scenes - Life on the Camino

    September 27, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Our photos are all beautiful and full of smiles. So what is a typical day really like.

    Up by 6:30am -
    Showering the night before might give you a few minutes more to sleep.

    Check the weather forecast -
    Determine how many layers and in which order to wear them. No need to worry about what to choose from because you only have two of everything.

    Repack your backpack-
    ... and hope the clothes you washed the night before are dry. Pin wet clothes to the outside of your backpack.

    Tape your feet! -
    The most important part of the Camino is foot preparation. If you had a hot spot yesterday, protect it today. Compeed bandage if it's a blister. Paper tape or bandaid if it's a area that rubs and may cause a blister. Some put Vaseline on their feet everyday. Others put paper tape on the bottom of their feet to prevent blisters.
    No guarantees anything works 100%

    The walk.
    Don't forget your trekking poles!
    For some reason, most days, the walk began up hill. Easy if you're 20, harder if you're trying to keep up with the 20 year olds. The pace is up to you. We seem to start out at a middle of the road pace. We would pass by many people (now friends) who walked quite slow. At the end of the day, they always caught up. They must have left at 6am because they were always ahead in the morning.

    IT'S NOT A RACE. Easy to remember because everyone walks at different pace.
    Read more