Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Murfreesboro, Tennessee

    March 25, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Market Square in Knoxville, Tennessee was established in 1854 as a place for farmers to bring their produce to sell.

    Fast forward a few decades and you have a wonderful venue for concerts, political rallies, artists and musicians. City Hall is only a block or two away.

    It's also a great place to have lunch. The Oliver Royale provided some tasty treats in that department.

    Looming over downtown Knoxville is the Sunsphere which is left over from the 1982 World's Fair. The theme that year was: Energy Turns the World.

    Denny and I pushed on to Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where the Stones River National Battlefield is located. It is the site of a significant Civil War battle which resulted in a victory for the Union cause.

    Located on the battlefield is the Hazen Brigade Monument, one of the most moving tributes we have ever seen.

    Union Colonel William Hazen's men held their ground and never retreated during the fighting on December 31, 1862. Over 400 fell in the battle. Survivors of that terrible day erected a monument in 1863 because they did not want the world to forget.

    It is one of the oldest Civil War memorials in the country.
    Read more