Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Lubbock, Texas

    April 3, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    The contrast between the pump jacks and wind turbines was on stark display all along our route today as we traveled through west Texas.

    They call the turbines the State Bird of Texas, with good reason. There are over 10,000 of them in the state, which makes Texas the nation's leader in wind energy. It beats out the state in second place - Iowa - by a huge margin.

    We could not believe our eyes. Mile after mile as far as the eye could see were wind turbines. Thousands of them. It seems to be a really great deal for all parties involved. The farmers rent the land to the wind farm operators so everyone makes a profit. Not to mention the jobs that are brought into the area and the lower energy costs.

    A real win-win for all.

    Denny and I arrived in Lubbock, Texas 60 years and a few months after "The Day The Music Died."

    Buddy Holly was born here and after that fateful plane crash on February 3, 1959 he was buried here.

    We played his music as we drove into town singing along to some of our favorite songs. With his signature horn-rimmed glasses and Fender Stratocaster guitar he cut quite a figure in his/our time.

    "True Love Ways"
    "Peggy Sue"
    Oh, Boy"
    "That'll Be the Day"
    "Maybe Baby"

    Thank you, Buddy.
    Read more