Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Oahu, Hawaii

    April 20, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Our visit to the Pearl Harbor Memorial in Honolulu started with a very well done documentary which described the events leading up to the attack on our planes and ships. The film included footage from that day in 1941.

    After the movie, we climbed aboard a Navy launch for the short trip out to the memorial. Unfortunately, we could not actually step foot onto the Memorial. It has been closed for repairs for almost a YEAR. They have no idea when it will reopen.

    Our tour included a stop at the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum. Looking up at the windows in Hanger 79 we could see bullet holes from the day of the attack.

    We also had a chance to visit the USS Missouri which is docked nearby. The surrender documents were signed aboard her while she sat in Tokyo Bay. There is a wonderful photograph hanging on the ship taken during the signing. Douglas MacArthur is the one seated and Senator John McCain's grandfather is in the front row.

    The National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific is a final resting place for many WWII veterans.

    We ended the day with a drive around beautiful Honolulu.
    Read more