Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Rawlins, Wyoming

    May 7, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    As we drove out of Salt Lake City this morning, Denny and I reminisced about past visits to the city. Many, many , many years ago we floated in the Great Salt Lake. Then we boarded a boat on a "fishing expedition" for the only animal that lives in the lake. We laughed and laughed when they handed us long poles with paper cups attached. The only "fish" that could survive in this salty environment is brine shrimp. We dipped our cups in the lake and "landed" our catch.

    We continued our journey along Interstate 80 crossing into Wyoming. In addition to this being the pioneer trail to California, it also carried Mormons going to Salt Lake City as well as folks headed to Oregon.

    Many of these travelers stopped at Fort Bridger in Wyoming to resupply for their journey west. This fur trading outpost was established in 1843 by Jim Bridger and Louis Vasquez. The Bridger and Vasquez portion of the fort has been reconstructed by the state of Wyoming.

    The Mormons took it over in the 1850's and built a protective stone wall. Some of the original wall is still standing.

    Eventually, the army established a military post in 1858. Many of the original buildings from that occupation are still there. The fort was closed in 1890. It reopened as a museum in 1933.

    Our drive east crossed the Rocky Mountains and the Continental Divide. The sign told us to watch out for antelope, elk, deer and other forms of wildlife. Apparently they are very fond of the sagebrush that covers the land.

    We saw some animals along the side of the road and told ourselves that they were indeed antelope.

    So much cooler than deer.
    Read more