Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Northbrook, Illinois (Day 1)

    May 13, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Denny and I were married in Pennsylvania in 1969 and immediately moved to the Chicago area. We lived here for five years before moving back to the East Coast in 1974.

    We loved Chicago and all that it had to offer.

    We decided to end our long 50th Anniversary road trip by visiting some of people and places that were a part of us at the very beginning.

    Hackney's Restaurant in Glenview, Illinois, is one of those places. It is very close to Willowbrook School - the school where I taught fifth grade. Willowbrook was a brand new school at the time so the entire staff all started out together. We became very close and frequently socialized outside of school. Spouses included.

    One special memory for Denny and I involves Hackney's. Joan, one of our teachers, loved sports, especially college basketball. She organized pools for the games and for one special playoff involving UCLA we all got together in a backroom at Hackney's to watch it.

    Joan brought a small portable TV and we all sat around eating the house specialties - onion loaves and French Dip sandwiches cheering our heads off.

    Did I mention that Joan was a former nun? 😀

    Denny and I ate an onion loaf and French Dip today.

    Wish Joan was here with us.
    Read more