Satellite
  • Day 82

    San Peregrino, Manizales, Colombia

    February 15, 2017 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Having friends around the world is always nice, but especially when they are from your home town, share the same friends and have some actual history. My next stop(s) was San Peregrino a small vereda just outside of Manizales built on rolling hills of coffee, bananas, plantains, avocados and much more.

    Anthony Asher Yates who went to high school with me and hails from Nordeast, Minneapolis lives in his paradise of a finca with his amazingly friendly, funny, and giving girlfriend Carolina. They were kind enough to take me in for a bit more than a week as well as Deanna from Michigan who was traveling South America as well.

    The days were spent cooking delicious food, helping Tony and Caro make their signature marmalade, sauces and hot sauces that they sell at organic markets around the area (check them out on Instagram @ketioka), walking around the beautiful landscape, and going into Manizales to buy good, food and use the internet occasionally.

    I was fortunate enough to be able to relax there and really get into the groove of country living, nothing beats rising with the sun, making coffee, eating avocados from the tree in the yard and watching the plethora of colorful birds that visit.

    One Sunday I went with them to a very small village a couple hours away close to the Sierra Nevadas to participate in a Temazcal a 4 hour traditional sweat lodge with lots of singing, cleansing and healing.

    I'm incredibly thankful for the hospitality that Tony and Caro showed me the time we spent together and all that I learned and experienced from them!
    Read more