Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Santiago de Compostela!

    October 4, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    We're here! After a short 7km day starting at 8:10, we walked into the Cathedral at 9:35. There are I think four entrance doors to the Cathedral, and coming from Portugal traditionally you enter from the South door, so that is what we did. We didn't know that there was a 9:30am Pilgrims' Mass, and the security would only let you in at that time if you're going to the Mass, so we thought we may as well go in. We were glad we did because it was a short Mass, and afterwards the botafumeiro (large incense burner) was swung, which is always good to see.
    We then got our Compostelas from the pilgrim office and had a bit of a walk around. Most of the people we had met over the last few weeks had arrived a day or two before, so had already gone home. We did catch up with a few people we had met over the last week or so, which is nice, and had lunch with Derya.
    Had a look in the Cathedral, then got tapas for dinner, after having a big lunch.
    Tomorrow we have an easy day around Santiago, then to the hotel next to the airport tomorrow night.

    Well our Camino Portuguese is over! As last time it's a bit sad to finish, but we're looking forward to getting home. Some days are good, some not so good, but it is a simple life for a few weeks, and we really like that. And you meet some nice people from all over the world.
    Read more