Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    1 o 2 Sea Days, before LA

    January 7 in the United States ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    Jan 7, 2023
    Ferdinand Magellan (born 1480) crossed the Pacific Ocean 500 years ago, he called it Mar Pacífico, meaning "peaceful sea." The name has remained, though those who have sailed these waters have not always brought peace. Soon after Magellan's sailing and as Europeans continued to expand their reach, five Spanish galleons carrying some 400 explorers pioneered a westward crossing, establishing one of the longest trade routes in history, which operated for 250 years. With trade came settlement and conflict whose ripple effects are still felt today. More recently, in 1947, Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl crossed this ocean on a balsa raft he built himself in order to prove that ancient civilizations could have done the crossing.
    We played Baggo, went on the general ship tour which included a small peek at a kitchen, wine storage, engine control room, crew quarters, and I 95 corridor, which is the length of the ship and the laundry with a $1.4 million dollar flat sheet machine which dried, and folds sheets. They have a shirt machine that takes a few seconds to dry and steam a shirt on a hanger. We checked in with our Aussie friends to try and gain some points, but were less than stellar today. At lunch we met and sat on the back deck with Molly, and Stan who will be leaving us in LA and will join the Sky in Sidney for the remainder of their World Cruise on the Sky.
    Read more