Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 118

    Day 118 5th of 7 Sea Days to Senegal

    April 17 in Senegal ⋅ 🌙 32 °C

    Frenchman Alain Bombard (1924-2005) pushed his 15-foot inflatable Zodiac l'Hérétique into the ocean in 1952, wanting to prove that humans could survive at sea without provisions. During his 113-day westward voyage, he lived off the fish and water of the sea. In 1956, self-styled adventurer Henri Beaudout (1927-)
    made the crossing from Canada to England on his raft L'Egaré Il, fashioned from wood and rope.
    The 21st century, too, has witnessed its share of courageous seafarers. In 2003, another French citizen, Maud Fontenoy (1977-), was the first woman to row across the ocean, starting in the archipelago of Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon-off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador-and arrived in A Coruña, Spain in just under four months. In 2010, Polish adventurer Aleksander Doba (1946- ) became the first to kayak across the Atlantic using muscle power alone. He rowed from Senegal to Brazil in 99 days. Three years later, he set off from Lisbon and landed in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, a journey of 6,300 miles completed in 196 days. In 2017, he left the shores of New Jersey to begin a 110-day voyage that landed him in Le Conquet, France. His crossings may be the most inspirational: He started his first at 64 years old and his third at 71.
    Read more