Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    BOI Day 1 (the beginning)

    December 8, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    We started today by ticking off a maintenance item. We pulled the mainsail down - something which hadn't been done since the boat was bought three years ago as it has an in-mast furler. After we figured out how to do get it down, we motored across to Doves Bay (getting a bit of work in on the way) where we met up with Nathan's parents.

    We received a delivery of essentials (beer, milk and some fresh fruit and veg) and handed over the mainsail to be delivered to a local sailmaker for some repairs and upkeep.

    A unexpected side-effect of dropping the mainsail was the foil clattering around inside the mast. After a little bit of problem solving we managed to stop this for the most part (otherwise there would have been no sleep on the boat) and we headed off to find a spot for a fish and a dive.

    We pulled into the Black Rocks, but unfortunately nothing was going on there for us, just a few undersized snapper on the rod. Nathan jumped in with his spear gun for a look around, but was only greeted with schools of Parore, two spot Demezel, and a couple of red Moki (which you aren't supposed to shoot as they're long lived and mate for life), and no sign of any crayfish.

    Vela put together a delicious snack player, and we cruised over to Tapeka to meet up with the owner of the boat for dinner. James and his family and friends have a bach booked for the week, and it handily comes with a mooring for Starling.
    Read more