Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    BOI Day 3 (the finned friends)

    December 10, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Today was about making finned friends.

    We started the day by splitting up. Vela went for a bike ride with James and his family, while Nathan and Jamie opted for a more chilled day on the boat. As Vela was leaving, a pod of dolphins came and played around the boat for about 30 minutes (are we lucky or what?!)

    The boat set sail for the sheltered area between Motukiekie and Moturua islands (fondly referred to by us as "the gap") and cruised there under sail at about 4kt - no rush, we had all day! We were greeted with tropical scenery and beautiful water.

    We went for a swim with the speargun and found another big fat Porae, and Nathan also decided to take a Parore to try - as we had seen them everywhere but didn't know if they were any good to eat. After about an hour in the water, Nathan and Jamie were knackered so swam back to the boat. On the way, Nathan gathered a few kina for the team back on shore to try.

    Before leaving, Nathan dealt to the fish and we were greeted by some very cool (and a little scary) neighbors - check the video!

    A late lunch of Parore wraps (delicious by the way) and we headed for home. The girls had made a pretty awesome little sand sculpture (got to remember not to fall in when we walk back to the boat later).

    Dinner was more fish from yesterday's efforts, including the eel (yum but a little finicky with all the bones) and the rock cod (aka shit fish) which were also pretty good. Full credit to the chefs!
    Read more