Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Stevie's to Whangaroa Harbour

    December 23, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Nathan and Daniel started the day by getting into their wetsuits for a 7am dive. A relatively short dive as Nathan's mask was fogging up badly, but it yielded some good results. Two Goatfish and two Painted Moki going into the fish bin. Both species are very striking, the Painted Moki with it's bold stripes, and the Goatfish with it's electric blue markings on its face and fins.

    After that the weather closed in and we have had light drizzle or worse for most of the day. In one of the few breaks in the weather, the team packed the boat up and headed for Whangaroa Harbour. The rain didn't stay away long and Nathan was very quickly in his wet weather gear while at the helm.

    Cruising through the Whangaroa Harbour entrance, and with the misty rain and low cloud it felt like we were in Milford Sounds. The Duke's nose was still quite an impressive feature as well, hoping we'll be able to climb it in the coming days if the weather improves.

    Vela fried the Goatfish whole with ginger, garlic, soy sauce and oyster sauce for a delicious dinner. The Painted Moki will be delivered to Nathan's parents for smoking (possibly our last chance to get smoked fish).

    Fingers crossed wet hey some better weather for Christmas!
    Read more