Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 64

    Ship Cove - Waikawa Bay

    January 28 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    After Nathan's disturbed sleep from yesterday's stormy weather, he was up at 5am again this morning. The silver lining was that he was able to get some photos of a pretty spectacular sunrise!

    After Vela eventually woke up, we went through our morning ritual before jumping in the dinghy to go for our waterfall hike. The hike was absolutely stunning, and if this is what the Queen Charlotte track is like, then we will have to come back and do the whole thing!

    Back on board Starling and we packed everything up to head for Waikawa Bay. Vela was very excited to get 4G again! On the way we spotted Lissa and Andrew from Cape Landing on our AIS, who were stopped for a fish at a reef. We opted for a sail-by, and teed up a little photo shoot with Lissa.

    After we arrived in Waikawa Bay, it was time to crack open a beer. While it was pretty tasty, the wake from one of the interislander ferries sent it flying all over Nathan... Will have to send them the bill...

    We settled in for the night, with the lights of the marina and hillside houses setting a very different nightscape to Ship Cove.
    Read more