Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Kennedy Bay to Shag Bay

    March 14 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    After a stunning sunrise that Vela even managed to get up in time to see, we made our next move up the coast towards Port Charles. Along the way we got as close to Great Barrier Island as we are going to get on this voyage (time constraints and anchoring restrictions due to Exotic Caulerpa being the main factors).

    We picked out Shag Bay as a sheltered spot for the evening. Unfortunately it was a rocky bottom, so although we were sheltered from the weather and waves, we had to listen to the shit chain grating against the rock.

    Update on the water maker issue, after speaking to some experts back in Auckland, it sounds like it could be a broken coupling between the electric motor and the pump, not fixable until we're back in Auckland unfortunately. We're trying to avoid a quick trip back to Auckland to fill the water tanks, so hopefully we can find somewhere that we can top up out here. We also stripped the cover off the furling line (which we noticed was wearing back in Nelson) for the big genoa, so unlikely to use this sail again this trip.

    Vela whipped up an evening meal with the last of the Chinese bacon and cabbage - yum!
    Read more