Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Scott, Louisiana - Lafayette KOA

    March 2, 2019 in the United States

    Why are we in Scott, Louisiana? Well, for no particular reason, except it's between " here" and "there", between our last stop and our next stop. Had to stop somewhere!

    Turns out we have been to this campground before. We did get surprised by getting a great campsite. The campground added a new section since our last visit. We got one of the new sites right on their lake. Very nice. The lake is home to a Mallard Duck family and to some yet unidentified paddlers. Nice neighbors!

    It also turns out, Scott, LA is famous. Scott is the "Boudin Capital of the World". And what is Boudin (pronounced BOO-DAN)? It's a sausage made of ground pork, rice, onion, green pepper, and Cajun spices and seasonings. The result is an intensely flavored Cajun creation. We've eaten this southern Louisiana staple and Mardi Gras essential; not seeing the attraction. This coming from someone who likes Scrapple.

    Not much else notable about Scott. It's a suburb of Lafayette. Lafayette is the home of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette "Ragin' Cajuns"". The area developed from an agricultural based economy, raising sugar cane, to today's industrial economy based upon petroleum. Lafayette is home to the 2nd largest Mardi Gras celebration in Louisiana. Once you add a heavy dose of Cajun and Louisiana Creole heritage, you have the Lafayette metropolitan area.

    "Laissez les bon temps rouler" (Let the good times roll)
    Read more