Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Three Rivers, TX - Choke Canyon State Pk

    March 22, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Another beautiful Texas day! And in more ways than one.

    First, weather is great with a sunny sky and a temperature of 82°, even in March. Doesn't get much better. And the travel scenery is GREAT. Today's trip involved mostly rural highways and a smidgen of interstate travel. However, no matter which, the Texas byways are in full bloom. There are gorgeous wildflowers all along the roads. Red, pink, orange, yellow, and the blue of the Texas state flower, the Bluebonnet. Compare this to the Pennsylvania roadside flower, the dandelion. It's great to be a Winter Texan.

    Our home for the next 2 days is Choke Canyon State Park which is 70 miles south of San Antonio, in an area known as the South Texas Brush Country. The campground is on the shore of the Choke Canyon Lake, which in turn is surrounded by a Texas wildlife management area. The WMA is home to numerous animals - deer, javelins, turkey, rabbit, coyote, feral hogs, mountain lion, gray fox, and hundreds of bird species. Management requests that you remember "this is not a petting zoo." Also, the lake is home to alligator which gives new meaning to "swim at you own risk".

    Speaking of bird species, yesterday we spotted a Crested Caracara, or Mexican Eagle. He was dining on the lakeshore.
    Read more