Satellite
  • Day 73

    Benson, AZ - Kartchner Caverns State Pk

    April 27, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Benson, Arizona is one of our favorite stops. We have been here several times and for a reason that is not very apparent, considering Benson is a small town of 5,000 noted today for farming and ranching. Not your typical tourist stop. Tombstone is 25 miles south and Tucson is 45 miles west.

    So, why do we stop here again and again? Food! This little town has one of the best Mexican restaurants that we have experienced, Mi Casa. Mi Casa is a tiny mustard yellow hacienda that seats only 24 in a rustic interior. This may be the only place in Benson where you may have to wait for table. It is run by a husband and wife, he waits tables and she cooks. The cook was born in Mexico and she uses family recipes handed down through generations. Saying the food is exceptional doesn't adequately describe the food. Great eats!

    Not wanting to waste a stop on eating only, we found another reason to stop in Benson. Benson is home to the Kartchner Caverns State Park. As the name indicates the Park features caverns of some note. Not being spelunkers we'll take their word for the caverns beauty. What attracts us to the Park is the very nice campground. While the caverns were carved out of limestone thousands of years ago, they were not discovered until 1974; and their existence was kept secret fearing vandalism. The State bought the property in 1988 and opened the State Park 10 years later. So, we have a a new, old Park! The caverns are home to approximately 2,000 bats who are roosting right about now.

    The town of Benson has a history similar to many other western towns. It was born as a railroad terminus for shipping copper and silver ore mined in southern Arizona. The railroad still provides terminal service here today. The Apache Powder Co, which still operates today was founded back in the early mining days to "Put The Boom in Arizona Mining". On the other side of the economic coin, a 40,000 acre cattle ranch lies just outside of Benson.

    Benson may not be taking a nap, but it still is a sleepy town.
    Read more