Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Tucson, Arizona - Tucson/Lazydays KOA

    April 30, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Well, here we are in the big city, 535,000 people big. To make it even bigger the entire metropolitan area has 1 million+ worker bees running to and fro. This is the environment that we usually pass by at 60 mph on the interstate. However, Tucson has its good points and advantages. The city is geographically large which negates the crowding that characterizes eastern cities. In Tucson's case, urban sprawl plays well. It's all here, good food (Mexican pastries), and retail therapy. Plenty to see and the weather is outstanding.

    As for the camping in Tucson, let's take a look at our current campground. It is noteworthy, but not typical of what we usually select. We're more the back to nature, away from the city campers. But once in awhile touching base with civilization is OK.

    The Tucson/Lazydays KOA is a "KOA Resort". Like cities, we tend to avoid the resort type campgrounds since we don't need or use all the amenities. However, there is an exception to every rule. This campground lives up to the resort title. It has everything and lacks nothing, all quality. But the niceties come with a price. Many of the campsites here cost as much or more than a hotel room. We timed this visit just right as the rates dropped May 1 (hotter weather equals lower prices) which enabled us to get a Deluxe Patio site for the price of standard site. Sometimes it's better to be lucky.

    There are a host of amenities that give this campground that "resort" edge. First, there's a full service restaurant and bar. Got to eat to keep up your strength to enjoy everything here! But if you just don't have the energy to saddle up to the food trough, there is food delivery service to your campsite. Once you regain your strength, there's plenty of activities to do. There are 2 pools, with hot tub and sauna of course. Want a little more exercise? Try some golf on either a 9 hole putting course or just plain 'ol mini golf. Not enough exercise? There is a fitness center. And after all this activity you can stroll around the nature pond or enjoy the game room.

    Just want to relax at your own campsite? Individual sites come with varying degrees of amenities. How about a Power Parasol campsite? These come with full shade (always a plus in the desert) provided by hundreds of elevated solar panels that supply the campground electrical needs. Most sites come with their very own citrus fruit trees. Our site has a lemon tree. Fruit is free for picking. Need a cozy place for Fido? No problem! The are special pet sites that include a fenced in pet park complete with fire hydrant, grass, and a covered shelter. Bow-Wow! And for the human creature comforts, many sites come with real green grass (just what you need in a desert), patios, patio furniture, and for the cool desert nights, southwest style fireplaces are available. And there are "Sky Deck" campsites for those who want to see and be seen. Something for everyone!

    Lastly, can't forget the full size laundromat, pet wash, cable TV, WIFI, and to get your lazy self to and fro, you can rent a golf cart.

    So, one can see how tough camping can be!

    THE END!!!
    Read more