Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 90

    Cave Creek, AZ -Cave Creek Regional Park

    May 14, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Continuing north we have passed by Phoenix, AZ and now are camped at the Cave Creek Regional Park in Cave Creek, AZ. Cave Creek, described as a Desert Oasis, is north of and bordering Phoenix. But we're still in a desert environment, specifically the upper Sonoran Desert. Other than being surrounded by cactus, we can tell we're in the desert by the temperature. It's 103°. The AC in the RV is giving all its got.

    Our stop at this particular campground is due to it being secluded and thus quiet. Plus it is very nice. Also, It's unique in that we're in a County Park. Don't generally see a campground in a county facility, but you do in the West. Certainly is a good way for the government to make some extra money while providing the public with a nice place to relax and enjoy the outdoors.

    Nothing too special about the town of Cave Creek. It can be characterized as an upscale bedroom community for the Phoenix "worker bees" to demonstrate their daily commute expertise. This general area was once the Indian wild West, featuring the feared Apaches. The Apache gradually gravitated westward to the Arizona Territory and once here were not receptive to miners and farmers trying to settle in their backyard. Over a 20 year period (1860's & 1870's) Indian attacks were the norm. In 1873 a fierce battle was fought between the Apache and the US military at a high hanging bluff along a creek bank that forms a wide open cavern. This was Cave Creek. And here we are today in the town of Cave Creek and now you know the rest of the story.
    Read more