Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 98

    Flagstaff, Arizona - Flagstaff KOA

    May 22, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    Leaving the desert Southwest, but still in Arizona. Now in the far northern part of the state, the High Desert, home to the city of Flagstaff. For Flagstaff "desert" means an annual average of 277 days without precipitation. Never fear, it does precipitate. How about an average annual snowfall of 100 inches? The record snowfall for one day is 36 inches! There are 66,000 people living in Flagstaff that appear not to mind the weather.

    Flagstaff was founded based upon the railroad, lumber, and ranching. All still here, but now the city is known for its astronomical pressence. The city is the world's first International Dark Sky City which explains why the famous Lowell Observatory (discovered Pluto & helped with the Apollo moon landings) is here; and the US Naval Observatory also. Flagstaff being at a 7000 foot elevation only adds to the city's heavenly attributes.

    Today the city's attraction is its natural environment and all the four season outside activities. Flagstaff is on a mountain and is surrounded by ancient volcanoes in the heart of the Coconino National Forest. It sits next to the largest contiguous ponderosa pine forest in North America. A lot of natural beauty here to enjoy.

    Trivia 101 - how did Flagstaff get its name? In 1876, a very tall flag pole was made from a perderosa pine tree and used to celebrate the nation's centennial. That's it! Believe it or not!
    .
    This is our next to last Arizona stop. From here we turn east to begin our trek homeward. There's more to see and enjoy over the next 2000 miles.

    PS. Woke up in the morning to snow, in Arizona, on May 23 - thanks to Flagstaff's 7000 foot elevation. We crossed the Arizona Divide at 7334 feet in a light snowfall. The snowy landscape was beautiful with snow clinging to the pine trees.
    Read more