Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Holbrook,AZ- Holbrook Petrified Frst KOA

    May 23, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We have traveled east only 80 miles from Flagstaff, AZ, but weather has improved dramatically. No snow, with temperature in the 70's. Our elevation has dropped 2000 feet and we're back to typical arid Arizona climate. What a difference!

    Holbrook, AZ began as a town of railroaders, cattlemen, outlaws, and rugged lawmen. It was a true Wild West cow town with range wars. It was known as the "Town Too Tough For Women And Churches". In 1914 Holbrook was the only county seat the the US without a church.

    The Holbrook of today is steeped in Native American culture, Hispanic roots, and pioneer spirit. There is at least one reminder of the wild days. There is a town street named "Bucket Of Blood Street". Sometimes it's hard to escape your past.

    On a gentler note, Holbrook is now known as the gateway to the Petrified Forest National Park, which includes the Painted Desert. This area of Arizona was a lush rainforest in prehistoric times. Millions of years ago the region experienced climate change and the land became buried in layers of sediment. Since then wind and water eroded and sculpted the layers to expose petrified wood, and plant and animal fossils. Today the Petrified Forest National Park, with its Painted Desert is a geologist and paleontologist dream.

    While other National Parks may get more attention, the Petrified Forest National Park should also be a must see National Park. The Painted Desert portion of the Park provides a landscape filled with rolling hills and mountains striated with vibrant colors. Add to this pieces of petrified trees of all sizes and shapes strewn about and you get a landscape not to be missed.
    Read more